Sunday, June 6, 2010

Adirondack Marsh Paddle

Lake George, the Queen of American Lakes, is renowned for its beauty. Although the lake can swarm with tourists during the summer, there are plenty of wild places to find. Yesterday afternoon, I paddled my kayak into a quiet marsh that is one of our favorite paddling destinations.

Lake George Kayak


The combination of open water, vegetation, and abundant wildlife provides an opportunity to experience nature up close. Waterlilies, pickerelweed, cattails, and sedges are abundant.


We also found wild irises and forget-me-nots in bloom.



Marshes provide important habitat for many species of wildlife. Red-winged blackbirds were abundant on our paddle. A great blue heron flew away and a mink or otter dove before I could get my camera. Wilderness is where you find it.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Archived Comments:November 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM

    Jamesdeluxe said...
    Beautiful pix, Jeff.
    June 6, 2010 10:28 AM

    Harvey44 said...
    I agree with James. You're a lucky man, to be so close to such beautiful places. It amazes me that Lake George stays as clean as it does. It's a major lake that sees a lot of use.
    June 6, 2010 6:24 PM

    Highpeaksdrifter said...
    Nice pics
    June 7, 2010 7:55 AM

    ReplyDelete