Monday, November 15, 2010

The Bumblebees are Dead. RIP.

Like most skiers, two things get me stoked the most for the start of ski season: the first snowfall, and new gear. I got my first taste of snow earlier this month skiing the Whiteface auto road, and this past weekend I bought new ski boots.

The new Terminators:  bring on the snow.

The pair that is being retired, my old black and yellow Scarpa T1 “bumblebees,” have seven or eight seasons on them, which translates to roughly two hundred ski days. They probably should have been replaced at the beginning of last season, if not even earlier.

Since I already knew the exact model and my size, getting fitted and making the purchase at our local ski shop was a piece of cake. I’ll return in a week or two to have the thermo-fit liners molded to my foot. Frankly, I never even considered the possibility of buying online: if there’s an issue with fit or any problem with the equipment down the road, I know I’ve got the retailer behind me. What I hadn’t anticipated, but was a nice surprise, was that the local shop’s “everyday” price already reflected a nice discount to MSRP. My experience over the weekend served as a good reminder to look to your local shop first when it’s time to replace older equipment or add to your quiver:
 - The Alpine Sport Shop, Saratoga Springs
 - Inside Edge, Glens Falls
 - The Gear Source, North Creek 251-2357
 - Willard Mtn Ski Shop, Washington County

No comments:

Post a Comment